Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kyle Turns 3!

Today is Kyle's third birthday, and he's been waiting for this day for quite a while.  It was also a sad day in that we woke up to a phone call early in the morning informing us our neighbor and good friend in the ward was killed by a drunk driver last night while riding his bike.  It was tragic news, and we have been thinking about this sweet family all day, and still trying to make Kyle's day special.  When tragedy strikes, it sure makes you want to hold your kids a little tighter, kiss your spouse a little longer, and thank Heavenly Father for the many blessings we have in our lives.  I just pray his wife will receive the comfort she needs during this time of great sorrow.  I'm thankful she has such a great supportive family close by to help her through this time.

So, Kyle woke up early this morning and came into our room and of course we were up after just hearing the tragic news, and when he came in, his nose was all runny and he had a fever.  The poor guy was sick on his birthday.  He really wanted to go to nursery, but we had to tell him he couldn't go.  Luckily, with a little Motrin, he was able to go through the day not too miserable.  
He has been looking forward to opening his presents for a while.  He has the last birthday of the year, and after seeing his brother and sisters celebrate their birthdays all year, he was glad it was his turn.
I just made a simple sheet cake, and Ashley insisted we decorate it with some boats.  She wanted to make blue frosting and put water on it for the boats, but Mom didn't want to do the extra work, so Ashley said "Oh, that's ok because we can just have it be brown like it is muddy water."  I thought that was a great idea......  
We were supposed to have Dave's family over for cake and ice cream, but we didn't want anyone to get sick, so we cancelled and just did cake and ice cream with our little family.  Jessica broke out her flute and played Happy Birthday while we sang, it was nice to have her playing while we sang.  It kept us on key, which is a hard thing in our family. :)  

Overall, I think Kyle enjoyed his birthday.  Lots of playing with his brother and sisters, and playing with his new Thomas the Train set.  Since it was Sunday, and we didn't get to go anywhere for his birthday, we told him we'd take him to the train park tomorrow with the family and have a picnic dinner, and ride the train.  He is so excited to ride the train!  He is obsessed with them lately.  When I put him to bed tonight, he couldn't stop talking about it.  So, I'll have to post pictures from that later.  Happy Birthday Kyle!  We love you!

Good night.  Go hug your kids, your nieces and nephews, your brothers and sisters, your mom and dad.  Make sure they all know how much you love them.  I know I am going to.

12 comments:

Jenifer said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! What a bummer to be sick on your birthday. It looks like he had fun anyway!


So sad for the Adams family. It's hard to wrap your mind around.

Vidal's Nest said...

It sounds like he had a fun day despite being sick! Happy Birthday Kyle!
We couldn't believe the news either. So, so pointless and sad!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! 3 already, where does the time go? Have fun at the train park, what a great way to celebrate your birthday.

Lori, thanks for filling me in on what happened. I just can't believe it.

esherman10 said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! Too bad he was sick on his birthday, and that's sad about your neighbor. We hope he feels better tomorrow so he can enjoy the trains!

dan and ashley said...

that's terrible- who was it?? {if you don't mind me being nosy}
i can NOT believe that little guy is 3!!!

dan and ashley said...

i kept blog hopping cuz i had to know if it was Kent or not- i do Cheri's hair.. i can not believe that. my heart has been so sad today for her- please let me know of the funeral arrangements
thanks
*blogs are wonderful things sometimes

Haro Family said...

Thanks for writing a comment on my blog--it is so wonderful to hear from you! I love your blog! It's great to know what is going on with friends and family. I'm looking forward to getting to know your family through your posts! You are still such an awesome person and your family is adorable!

Melody said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! Taft was sick on his 3rd birthday this past February, too. Taft missed him in nursery--he sure likes and talke often about his friend Kyle.
So sad about Bro. Adams. It does help to focus on the love you have for your own famiy and re-evaluate priorities.

Karina said...

I can't believe he's 3 already. That's too crazy! Have I been gone that long? I see Sara S. all the time. I love her. She's come golfing with me once and we just went out to dinner with them a few weeks ago. Her kids play with my kids and she taught Amelia to swim over the summer. She's actually running in this marathon relay with me in Oct. She's been super busy entertaining family since she moved here. She's only been here for like 6 months and has had wayyyyy more family here to visit than I have. I think she's been so busy entertaining that she really hasn't had time to feel at home yet. She's great!!!!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! Hey Lori, I hear you're coming out for Fall Break. Sounds fun!

dan and ashley said...

ok- so what the heck?! did you watch ER?? i'm SO behind with all my shows- i just got done balling my eyes out you have to tell me if you watched it first before i go on! and i had no idea the amazing race started.. where have i been?!

sara said...

happy day to you kyle...he looks so much older...he is so cute, i just loved being his nursery leader!