Friday, June 13, 2008

Our Summer So Far.....

Ok, so it's been forever since I've blogged, and I'm wondering when I can do it with summer here.  With the kids all home, it seems like I don't have as much down time.  But that's ok, because it means we're playing hard, right?  So, I did want to do a quick post before I got too far behind.  

Well, as soon as school got out, Dave and I got ready to go on our Stake Pioneer Trek with the youth.  We were originally going to go as Ma and Pa, but they had extra and needed some people to move to Big Brother and Big Sister.  We were glad we didn't have to collect up all the extra stuff, and have that extra responsibility, but once we were there, I was a little sad not to be in the same family with him, but we still had a wonderful experience!!  I had never been on a Trek before, and I gained such a greater appreciation for the pioneers that came before me.  I only had a glimpse of what they went through, and I am so grateful to have had that opportunity.  It would take forever to write about all the amazing experiences I had, and I'll just save that for my own private journal, but just so you know, if you ever have the opportunity to do something like that, snatch it up and know that you will be greatly blessed!!  
Dave played the part well by growing out the beard about 10 days ahead of time.  He liked the excuse to not have to shave......   Dave was quite the trooper, as he was sick for most of the trek.  But he was blessed and able to get through it, while still doing his part.
This is what the handcarts looked like.  It was hard work pushing and pulling these things, and I'm grateful this is not how we transport things today!!!

My sister was so kind to come and watch the kids while we were gone, even being 7 months pregnant!  Thanks Denise!  They were sick right before we left, and while we were gone, and she was a trooper taking care of them all.  

Since we've been back from the trek, the kids have been staying busy with basketball camp, swim lessons, and lots of swimming at home.  And today I dropped off the girls (Jessica and Ashley) at the airport to visit their cousins in Utah.  They had never flown on an airplane before and were soooo excited!  I was sad to not be able to experience their first airplane ride with them, but oh well.  They did arrive safely, and are so excited for all the fun they're going to have up there.  But I sure will miss them!!!!!  Good thing I sill have my other 3 to keep me busy. :)



10 comments:

Erin said...

You guys make a great looking pioneer couple! I'm glad that you had a good experience.

Jenifer said...

Happy to have you back! Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer. I've been excited to see your pictures of the trek.

STACEY said...

Love Dave's beard--way to get into character! Amazing how much busier summer seems to be for us moms!

Lori ~ LL-K said...

You guys look so cute as a pioneer couple! I'm glad the girls made it up to Utah safe!! :)

Vidal's Nest said...

I always love have my kids go at first, but after a few days, I miss them! The good thing is they seem to adjust to being gone better than I do!
Enjoy a semi break!
The trek sounded like a wonderful time. I am grateful to all the leaders who made it such a neat experience for our kids! Thanks!

Shelly said...

Trek looks like it was a blast! i wanted to go so bad! Looks like you are having fun!

Kendra said...

Good job on the trek. I know it was not easy for you guys, but what a great experience. You're going to love the video...I've seen the rough edit! (That is one of the perks when you are married to the video guy...)

sara said...

you people never cease to amaze me...dave sick on the trek and you pulling up so many handcarts from the women's pull...i love the strong people you are...glad you are busy this summer and having fun...

Jenifer said...

I haven't seen you forever! We need to get together!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Yeas ago .... like 1996 I told myu husband that I thought it would be cool to do have a wagon and hire out for pioneer trips in the summer months, he thought I was nutty and look now they are taking treks all over every summer! One days I'm gonna do it, well go on one of the treks.