Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine Fun!

Yesterday we had a great Valentines Day!  The kids woke up to our kitchen covered with hearts.  (Mom and dad heart-attacked the kitchen :)  Then, the kids decided to heart-attack themselves for school.  Jessica had the idea first, and when Tyler and Ashley saw the hearts all over her, they had to do it, too.  (I'm not quite sure the look Kyle was going for when he grabbed this pillowcase and wrapped it around him......)  Then it was off to school for some fun Valentine parties.  I got to go to Ashley's in the morning, and Tyler's in the afternoon.  It's always fun to go into the kids classrooms for their class parties.  They get so excited when I show up, and I'm glad they like having me come.   I spent the in between time organizing Dave's closet and putting up shelving and storage in there.  (That was my Valentine present to him.)  He'd been wanting to do it for a while, but never got around to it.)  

Then Dave came home at 3:30 and had a Valentine surprise for me.  He had told me he needed me to do something for a couple of hours, and he'd watch the kids, I just didn't know what it was.  I was thinking it was going to be a pedicure or a massage or something.  When he got home he gave me a card, and in it was a clue for a scavenger hunt.  I was a little unsure of what I was going to have to hunt around town for, not to mention a little disappointed it wasn't a pedicure, but I read the clue and it said "When things get a little dry, you like to go to this store."  This was easy, since I love Bath and Body Works, so I headed off to see what was in store.  

When I got to the store I asked if they had a clue for me, and sure enough, they gave me a card that had a gift card in it for the store, and another clue.  I wasn't sure if I was supposed to spend the gift card, or hurry off to the next place, but I'm not one to pass up shopping, so I found some stuff to buy.  I then read my next clue and it said, "It gets a little old having the same favorite color."  This one stumped me so I called Dave, and he told me to concentrate on the words.  I finally got it.....Old Navy.  By this time I was excited because I figured out by now I was on a shopping scavenger hunt!!  Horray!!!  So I went to Old Navy and asked for my next clue.  Sure enough there was a gift card for even more money then the last place, and I was excited as I went in search of clothes.  I found three tops and a pair of capris. (summer is coming :)  Then I read my next clue and it said "When Chinese Athletes start cramping up, they should eat some of these."  I was stumped again, and went to check out.  The lady said, "I know where you're going next."  I said, "Oh, cuz I don't".  I told her my next clue and she said "Oh, they eat bananas."  So, then I knew it was Banana Republic.  I was a little nervous about this store, cuz it is so dang expensive!!!  Nice stuff, just expensive.  So I headed over there and got my next card.  It said "Congratulations, you found all the clues.  Now go find something nice to wear, even if it's not on sale."  Now, Dave knows I don't buy anything unless it's on sale.  And at this store, you pretty much can ONLY buy what's on sale.  So I headed to the sale racks and found a cute dress.  I was stoked because it was only $28 which is amazing for a dress at that place.  It was the last one and just happened to be my size.  Horray!  Well, I still had money to spend, so I found another sale rack and saw this way cute skirt.  I loved it, and when I saw the price tag of $68 I thought, "That's not a sale!!!"  But I decided to try it on anyways and ended up loving it, so I said what the heck and got it.  I also found a cute top to go with it.  (Dave had said if I needed to spend more, to go ahead.  What a guy!!)  If you know me, I am a bargain shopper who doesn't like to spend more than $10 on an article of clothing.  I'll spend up to $20 if it's something I LOVE.  So to only get three things for the amount I spent in that store was SO unlike me, and it was such a splurge, but I had so much fun.  Well, I had such a great time on my scavenger hunt, and I LOVED it.  Thank you so much honey for that WONDERFUL present!!  It was the best.  You're the best!

So, after the shopping, I stopped at the store to get something for dinner.  It had been such a busy day that I never had a chance to even think what to make for dinner, so it was off to Albertsons for their chicken dinner deal.  Every Valentines Day we do a special dinner for the kids where they fill out a paper with what they want for their 3-course dinner.  Each course they put in four "valentine words" that they chose from a list.  Each word means something in the dinner (ex. heart=chicken, love=fork, valentine=corn, etc.)  Only I know what each Valentine word means, so they don't know what they'll be served each course.  The kids love it, and it doesn't really matter what I serve, they have the best time.  Tyler especially enjoyed eating his ice cream with his hands, and getting to eat his dessert before he ate his chicken.  And I loved the fact that I didn't have to cook dinner, and since we used paper plates, it was an easy clean-up.  It was a great day for everyone, and thanks again Dave for my wonderful shopping trip!!!!  

10 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a super fun valentines day. I love the dinner menu idea.

Amy said...

How fun and creative! I'm glad you got to splurge on ourself a little bit.

Amy said...

not ourself, yourself... :) (Though I wouldn't mind splurging on myself either!)

Amy said...

That is so cute. I didn't know Dave was that creative. I'm impressed!

Jenifer said...

That sounds like so much fun! What a great guy! And way to go on splurging on yourself. I know it can be hard, but you deserve it!

Nikki said...

Sooo fun! Could you have Dave call Chad and give him a few hints :) ha ha ha I got a hug!

esherman10 said...

That sounds so fun! Way to go Dave...great idea!

Mark and Karen said...

Talk about creative! I need to come live with you guys.

Crystal said...

Okay I think that is THE BEST V-day EVER!!!! Way to go, Dave!

MTBikeAZ said...

Thanks a lot Dave. Set the bar so high that nothing any of us other husbands ever do for Valentine's Day will be as good as "what Dave did for Lori." Yes, way to go.

Off to the drawing board for next year... should I even bother?

Mike